Monday, February 8, 2010

HW 39- First School Assignment

Part A:

Questions:
1. When was the United States public school system founded?
2. Where/ When did school originate?
3. Was their a demand for education in this country or in others which led to the creation of a school system?
4. Why does school occupy most of our lives from the time we are 2- to 22 years old?

Ideas:
1. The intent of school is to keep us occupied until we can join the workforce
2. School was created to condition us into becoming "civilized and productive member's of society". We get graded based off of what we do, when there are many people who school doesn't appeal to that are actually far more intelligent than those who do well in school.
3. Private school is segregative, creating a barrier between Caucasian and Jewish youth from the Hispanic, Asian, and African- American youth in America. While some Jewish people (such as myself) are in public school, and some African-American's are in private school's, this is not common.

Experiences:
1. I like being in public school, because I feel more connected to a wider variety of people than my friends in private school, who are often misinformed about how people from different backgrounds act and have a xenophobic attitude that is often unintended
2. Being in school gives me a sense of accomplishment, but only do I feel like I had a worthwhile day when I learn something that I want to study more on at home on my own free time.
3. I notice that what I said in #2 ^^ rarely happens, and if school were structured better than I would be more excited about spending my time in school (35 hours per week)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part B:

I think that school is an inherently positive institution. Although school began as a privilege offered only to the very wealthy, it has since become available to almost everyone in America. The problem with school is not so much about the institution, but more so about the less obvious intent of the school system. I think that in a sense, schools are very well masked conditioning centers, where rebellious young children are turned into complacent, "civilized" people. The illusion of school is that we have been given a gift from the government to become educated and smart, but realistically we learn little about historically significant events that may be considered "controversial".

The Riverside speech made by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., discussed the evils of capitalism and the horrible effects of the Vietnam war. Had Andy not told me about this speech I don't think I would have taken the time to listen to it, and understand how eloquently Dr. King had spoke about the detriment which capitalism hath brought upon America, and the African American community.

The problem is, we are rarely taught anything that doesn't reflect well on the United States Government. As far as I can tell, we are taught to be loyal to this country, for what reason I am not entirely sure, but starting from kindergarten and straight through high school, we are conditioned to believe that America is virtuous and can do no wrong. Instead of being taught about the Hay-Market riots on May 1st, we are alloted a "Labor-Day" sometime in September, a holiday that lacks relevance to the labor struggle in this country.

I don't think that it is school that is bad, but it is the ignorance that it creates which is dangerous, and plays right into the hands of those who rely on the ignorance of the people to generate profit, and breed patriotism.

End Note:

I think it is interesting that American's feel united and seem to constantly perpetuate the importance of a country "united not divided". At the same time, people living in Utah have very little to do with people from Florida, and People from Alabama have very little in common with New Yorker's. We really aren't that united, but we all like to have this stupid fairy-tale illusion that we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment