Thursday, October 8, 2009

HW 11- Self Experiment

The next step in our investigation of the digital world, was to conduct an experiment where we changed our electronic behavior for a full day. I decided on Tuesday that the next day (yesterday), I would refrain from any electronic use for any reason other than to do work. This meant; No ipod, No itunes, No ichat, No facebook, No cell phone. I decided that I would only use my computer to type my homework for Mr. Kinory's class, do my online physics homework, and check if you had put up the assignment for HW #11.

The next day, I went to school, and took my phone. I guess I forgot. I didn't take my ipod, and for the most part, I didn't even use my phone. After school I pretty much hung out in front of school for a little bit, and than headed home with my brother. He called one of our friends and we met up with him and our other friend at 14th street and 7th avenue, and walked the rest of the way back home with them. Me and Max (my brother) went home and did homework, than later on, we went upstairs to our neighbors house and chilled with our friend Claire. We ate dinner their, I went to the deli and than went home. Later on, around 10, my friend Hunter came over. We hung out and played Xbox for about 45 minutes. After that, Hunter went home. My dad and I watched a program on health care for about half an half hour. When I was tired, I read for a little while, and fell asleep.

On the other hand, I successfully only used my computer to do homework and was able to refrain from any additional activity on my laptop. When I was on the computer, I realized that I really did have to remind myself that I wasn't going to "surf the web" or "just see who was on AIM really quickly", or "check my facebook and get right off".

After I did most of my homework, me and Max hung out with our neighbor/ friend Claire. For the most part, we just hung out, talked, relaxed and really didn't do anything digital besides listen to some music on her iphone for a bit. I had alot of fun, and really didn't want to do anything like watch TV or go on her computer, because I was having alot more fun hanging out at her house, talking, eating and just relaxing.

Max went home, I went with Claire over to the deli. My phone had been with me the entire day, I didn't really call anyone, a few friends called me and I received some text messages, but for the most part, I used my phone very little throughout the day. As I walked with her, I got a call from Hunter, and answered it. The call couldn't have been more than 20 seconds, but in that time we decided that he would come over to my house and hang out for an hour.

I feel like the main thing that I noticed throughout the day was that I really only cut back on most things, and didn't actually stop using technology for a full day. I cutback alot of my cellphone usage, and somehow hung out with 4 friends at three different times between after school and the end of the night. I successfully only used my laptop for homework, but in actuality, I still used it. I watched TV even if for 30 minutes, and I played Xbox, even if it was only for 45 minutes.

What I find so interesting about what I did throughout my "No Technology" day, is that I really didn't have a "No" Technology day, but a "Less Technology" day.

The problem is, I really couldn't help but bring my phone with me. I couldn't help but watch TV. I tried to not go on itunes, but when I went to my friend's house, I ended up listening to music anyway. What I did cut out however, was a good part of the entertainment aspect of the digital world. In all, the half hour of TV, and the 45 minutes of Xbox, accounted for my 1 hour 15 minutes of digital entertainment in my day.

I noticed though, when I was at my house, and through the entire day, how I used my time, and the way I conducted digital activities was different. As I watched TV, I discussed the health care debate with my dad. When I played Xbox, me and Hunter talked to each other and laughed about what was happening in the game. So to a certain extent, I think that doing things like play Xbox, or watch TV, or listen to music are good things. In the end it's how you do it, you can't immerse yourself in the digital world, you have to maintain a mental attachment to your surroundings, because otherwise technology has a disembodying effect on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment