Wednesday, September 30, 2009

HW 8- Response to video project

Beatrice,

I really liked your post and particularly enjoyed how short your video was. I feel like you cut right through the excess parts of the assignment and actually gave the viewer more time to do their own thing.

To reiterate, your main point, it seems that you were trying to say that you found much more pleasure in being away from technology, and in the world. You emphasized this by making your video short which gave me more time to comment on your video and not be put into a trance by the computer screen.

I thought that you had a very similar point to Sam Rios, in that you both saw this time we spend on our computers as a waste.

I feel like you did a great job of getting your point across with your 8 second video, although I definitely would say that your point could have been strengthened if you had done a 2 minute video of yourself using technology. If you had, your point could have been supported using yourself as an example.

In terms of the assignment, I feel like you did it well, but not really how Andy wanted us to do it. However, your post was really provocative in that I definitely see a bit of a futility in Andy's assignment itself. You had one of, if not the only video I saw which actually addressed the main problem with technology.

---------------
Marco,

First off, I really enjoyed reading your post, and watching your video as well. I liked how you don't come off as defensive about what you do in your video, but rather analytic instead.

Because you talk about your video as evidence in your post, and than introduce a non- technological parallel, I really was intrigued by what you wrote. In turn, your main point made me re-watch your video keeping in mind your theory that daydreaming and sitting and watching television are pretty much the same thing.

I think that you touched briefly on a very large point which is that alot of what we do online and with technology, is just like an advancement of what people did before computers and cable.

Your example about T.V. and daydreaming was good, but in my opinion, a more accurate example would be T.V. to story telling wayyy back when America was still going through westward expansion. People listening to stories are just as captivated by what they are listening to as you were sitting in front of your television screen.

You made me really think about all the parallels between technology and the pre-digitalized world. I feel like some of the older ways of doing things are alot better than what we do today. Think about it, when's the last time you sat down for as long as an episode of South Park to listen to a story from one of your parents, or tried to write instead of typing away on ichat?

Your post made me think about those questions, and reconsider how I've been substituting technology in my own life. This pretty much goes to show, when you write well, you provoke thought in the mind of your reader, and you did just that, good job Marco.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the constructive comment. I mainly thought about how the same behavior can be linked to non-digital activities, but you said that some non-digital activities might be better for us. This flips the assignment around, we were asked to study our behavior when immersed in digital activity, implying that our behavior is different from normal, your extension of my original thought makes the behavior constant but the activity varied. The behavior we exhibit when immersed in something will always be consistent. The purpose of these comments is to expand on each others ideas and create new insights, which I think we've been doing very well, nice comment, I look forward to reading your new posts

    ReplyDelete